In this week's podcast we talk about developing a positive attitude in your staff (and yourself!) when dealing with parents.
This week we are excited to have with us Nathan Brant from the South Mountain Y in Pennsylvania. Nathan runs a residential camp and a day camp there as well as outdoor education and family programs. Nathan is just about to release a free book of essays on the state of the summer camp called Trail Heads. Dan and I both have essays in the book and I have had a chance to read the proof - it's awesome. We'll post a link to the book when it has it's official release. You should also check out Nathan's Summer Camp Source blog - he wrote a great piece about our discussion here today.
Have you seen staff members roll their eyes when they get a call from a camper's parents? What do you do to train your staff to understand the parent's side of things?
Tool of the Week - Something that you use to make yourself a better Camp Director
- Dan - Globe-Wies Expanding File Organizer
- Joe - Buckeye Leadership Workshop
- Gab - Shoebox Photo organizer
- Travis - Bit.ly Pro URL shortener
- Nathan - Delivering Happiness Book
(please note: Amazon products are affiliate links)
- Joe Richards, Executive Director at Pearce Williams Christian Centre
- Travis Allison, Summer Camp Leadership and Marketing Consultant at Walking Maverick
- Dan Weir, Director at Frost Valley YMCA
- Gabrielle Raill, Director at Camp Ouareau
- Nathan Brant, Executive Director at South Mountain YMCA
- For the best source of summer camp information on Facebook become a fan of CampHacker.
- If you are interested in more educational information about running a summer camp join our free email newsletter for summer camp leaders.
- Come join the discussion with your peers: Summer Camp Professionals group on Facebook
Thanks for the evening, friends.