Our Best Ideas for Leadership Training Your Camp Counsellors
Now that is how it's done! Dan, Gab & I just had a 25 minute LIGHTNING ROUND of great ideas. They were coming fast & furious.
On today's show we talked about ways to make sure you have a great Staff Training Week. Each of us shared 3 or 4 of our best ideas - the things that we know will have an impact on how your camp runs this summer.
Listen in for the details but here's our list:
- Know your audience
- Put on your Leadership Glasses
- Do it with intention
- Develop (and teach) the Clientele Mindset
- Give them bathroom reading
- Change it up
- Make "how-to" videos
- Show videos of interviews with camp parents
- Break up the style of your presentation (did you know that at Ouareau they are limited to only 15 minutes of lecture-style delivery before they must change it up?)
- Develop Duty Ditties
- Write your question down
- Create a Theme for the week. One of Frost Valley Y's was Build Strong
- Embrace your history. Gab also suggested we highlight the shifts that the camp directors have make to keep camp growing
- Create a manual people will look at (check out this Camp Code podcast: Staff Manuals: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly)
- At each area have 2 signs: What do Campers Need to Know? What do Staff Need to Know?
- Show your enthusiasm
- Create a culture that values sleep (thanks Dr. G!) [Click to Tweet This!]
Tool of the Week – Make Yourself a Better Camp Director
- Travis Allison, Summer Camp Consultant - CampHacker.TV
- Gabrielle Raill, Camp Director - Camp Ouareau